What Kind of Visa do I need to Buy a Condo in Pattaya Thailand

There are a number of different visa options in Thailand. They range from a visa on arrival (VOA) by land for 15 days, to VOA by air at 30 days, to student visas, tourist visas, work visas, and retirement visas, The work visas get broken down into certain categories even further, there is Business Opportunity Investment, Teaching Non – B, and a regular non – B.


There is even a new Thailand Elite Visa that spans a full 20 years if all four of the five year extension's offered are used. To buy a condo in Thailand you will be able to use any of the visa types listed in this article. Thailand makes it relatively easy for a foreigner to buy a condo for a holder of any of the following visas.


Visa On Arrival


The visa on arrival is the most common visa issued in Thailand. It will last anywhere from 7 – 60 days depending on how you enter the Kingdom and what country you are from. This visa is free of charge, and free of hassle.


You get a stamp in your passport that takes up a ¼ page and call it a day. Visa on Arrival via air entry for many countries is 15 or 30 days. For China is granted 15 days, while the UK, Australia, and America are granted 30 days by air.


A visa on arrival is intended for tourism only. A longer visa should be considered if you want to stay in Thailand for longer than a month, however, to purchase a condo a visa on arrival is sufficient.


Tourist Visa


A tourist visa is just that, a visa intended for a tourist, but unlike the VOA, the tourist visa can now be for up to 6 months. Previous limits were 60 days with a 30 day extension, now a full 6 month version of the tourist visa is available. The six month visa is not intended for a stay of six consecutive months, please see the Thai Embassy website for more details. Many times people moving to Thailand get a tourist visa to make converting to one of the longer term visas easier, as the VOA is not always easy to convert due to time lines slipping in the Land of Smiles.


I'm sure you have heard about "Thai Time". It is a thing, and it is real, things move slowly, and that is the way we like Iit. If you plan on converting your visa when you arrive to a longer term visa the option with the least amount of headache is definitely the six month tourist visa.


This visa will make it easy for your to visit Thailand's and your new neighbors such as Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia, and process your longer term visa class at one of the embassies there. It sounds complicated until you compare the process to western nations. Thailand and it's hoops is a breeze and quite inexpensive when all is said and done.


Student Visa


The student visa is intended for anyone going to school in Thailand. This may be small children who are dependents attending school whilst their parents live and work in Pattaya. It may also be university students looking to complete their education at one of Thailand's Universities, or it may be someone enrolled in a school to learn the Thai language.


Thailand allows foreigners to enroll in a formal language school for up to four years to learn how to read, write, speak, and listen in Thai. For someone looking to just enrich their lives this is a superb option that will allow virtually anyone to spend up to 4 years in Thailand learning the culture and the language.


Dependent Visa


A dependent visa may be used if you have dependents that need a visa, or they may be under a student visa. The other use of a dependent visa comes about when a foreign national is the parent of a Thai national and rather than having their visa tied to a job it is tied to their dependent. This is not very common but does exist.


Business Visa


Thailand is an excellent place to start a business for certain industries. There are many foreign owned companies in Thailand both large and small and with them comes a business visa. There are different types of business visas, the regular one, which requires 4 Thai employees for every foreign national, and the Business Opportunity Investment (BOI) visa, which aims to employ Thais that have a University level education and requires degree holders so the ratio is relaxed to help Thailand become more competitive on the world market.


Work Visa – Non B


Maybe you don't want to run your own business but you would like to live and work in Thailand and you are not retirement age, and you don't want to marry anyone and you are not independently wealthy.  You can get a job, and get a 1 year employment visa that goes with this job. There is one visa for teachers, and there are others for regular companies and BOI companies. Most jobs require degrees or some degree of specialty, so whatever it is you are going to do, be good at it.


Retirement Visa


The retirement visa is available to those over 50 years of age, and those that can prove a minimum monthly income or provide proof of funds in a bank of 800,000 THB that is readily available at all times. The retirement visa is fairly straight forward and easy to do as long as you meet the minimum requirements.


Marriage Visa


Your spouse may be sponsoring your visa, this is more prevalent for foreign nationals that are women while their spouse is Thai, than for Thai women. For a Foreign national to qualify for a marriage visa they must be able to prove income of at least 40,000 THB per month, or a sum in the bank equal to that over a year. A marriage visa is not required in order to get married in Thailand, it is merely one more option for staying in the country long term. It also has no bearing on the purchase of a condo.


Thailand Elite Visa – The 20 Year Option with VIP Service


Then there is the grand daddy of all Thai Visas the Elite Thai Visa it allows you to buy a 20 year visa, complete with car service to and from the airport and other privileges that are too numerous to name here.  This is the visa for the who's who of Thailand and is by far the easiest to use, if you qualify for this visa get it. All it will cost is a bundle of cold hard cash.


Thailand understand that not everyone will be living in their condo. Not every condo is even built when it is purchased so the type of visa is irrelevant. One could argue technically that one could even buy a condo in Thailand with no visa, since one could view the condo and then leave the country before deciding to make said purchase.


Some owners return to their home country to sell homes or condos there in order to pay for a condo in Thailand. Some have to transfer funds through customs of their own country or the host country of their funds. Every owner is different so there are no restrictions on the type of visa you need to purchase a condo in Thailand, much less Pattaya.